Monday, September 04, 2006

I either escaped loosing my wallet...or was really rude to a police officer.

So here I am in Ecuador. I'm sitting in a park reading and studying spanish and I realize that the sun is low in the sky. So I gather my things and begin to exit the park. The park is larger than I realize and I am still inside the park once the sun sets. There are still children playing with their parents and I can see the street from where I am. It seems fairly safe. Two guys on a motercycle drive up in front of me and start speaking really quickly in Spanish. This is our conversation as well as I can remember it. (I'm changing into English what I think they said and what I hope I responded.)

-Hey, what are you doing? (them)

-What? (me)

-What are you doing?

-I'm walking. (I begin to walk off)(They get off their motercycle and stand in front of me)

-Where is your passport?

-I don't have it here. (At this point I notice that their helmets have Policia written on them)

-Where are you from?

-The United States

-Passport.

-I said I don't have it. It's at my house.

-Where do you live?

-In the Portugal Building, just over there.

-Where's your immigration card?

-I'm a tourist!

-Give us your card.

-I don't have one!

-Where are your papers? In your bag? Give it to us.

-No.

-Your wallet, show us.

-What? (I know exactly what they want, but I'm not about to hand it over.)

-Your wallet.

-(blank stare)

-Wallet. WALLET. Wallet, wallet, wallet.

-No.

-We're police! Police! Look! (Points to his helmet)

-I don't believe you. You're not police.

-We're police. Do you have drugs?

-No, I don't have drugs.

-You have drugs in your bag, show us.

-(At this point I'm angry and it's getting darker and I have no interest in chatting it up anymore.) Fine, look. Here. I have water. You want water? Three books, a dictionary, a novel, and look, here's my spanish book. You want to learn spanish? A pen. Two pens. An apple. How do you say this? (I hold up flashcards) I can look it up in the dictionary if you want.

-(Spanish I can't understand, probably swearing.) Go away, get out of the park. Go.
(As they drive away I see on their left shoulders a pretty official looking badge and the words again, policia)

So I went home and told an Ecuadorian what had happened and he said they were probably not police, but they might have been...so who knows?

No comments: