Saturday, September 30, 2006

One door closes...

So every cloud really does have a silver lining. When I stopped volunteering with ¨Volunteering Ecuador,¨ I had to find a new organisation to work with.
Now, the United Nations building in Quito is pretty imposing and the guard next to the metal detector inside even more so, but a friend and I walked in looking for volunteer opportunities nevertheless.
And it´s not for sure yet, but I may begin volunteering for the United Nations teaching English to Columbian refugees. I hope to begin in the next three or four days, after an interview. I have always wanted to be involved with the United Nations somehow, but have never had the necessary skills to be of any assistance...to anyone, much less the United Nations. I´m very excited.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this. I think teaching English to (mostly?) adults would be much more "a cup of your tea" than the daycare with the screaming kids. You totally have skills...TKD skills, mountain climbing skills, putting up with crazy people skills....