Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Typical rich tourist

It is amazing how fast a person, can become desensitized to the poverty that surrounds me...I mean...not me, other people. The reason I say this is because I was thinking today that one of the biggest problems in Quito is how hard it is to get change.

I get money from the ATM, and it always comes in twenty dollar bill form. The main problem is that no store anywhere will take anything except exact change. If you buy food at a huge grocery store for $15.71, and try to pay with a 20, they will look a you like you tried to pay with poop. Much less trying to buy a lunch for $2.80 from a small corner restaurant when all you have is a 20.

Anyhow, this relates back to my first sentence. ¨I was thinking today that one of the biggest problems in Quito is how hard it is to get change.¨ I am such a stereotypical rich tourist. I don´t see the people living and begging in the streets, the five year old kids juggling or doing cartwheels for cars at red lights to earn spare change, the schools with no textbooks or libraries, the violence, or any of the other problems. All I see is that I have two twenty dollar bills and no way to pay the 60 cents an hour the internet cafe charges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok... mooo ha ha ha ha - im soo happy you are comunicating with the people that wants to leave you a comment in KOREAN!!! mooo haa! Love your blogs. Im going to send it to my friends and pretend I wrote it.. Moha ha! Love you to zimbzwe and back! Im going to go and by a chiqlet with a $50 bill now. Bye! x x See you in about 3 minutes!